Robinson Cano now says that he did not ask the Yankees for $300 million.

OK, but we’re pretty confident that his representatives did. “I’ve never asked anybody for $300 million,” the free agent second baseman told the Dominican website El Dia on Thursday, during a ceremony to honor the Dominican Republic’s World Baseball Classic Championship earlier this year.

Cano went on to say in Spanish that “nobody has ever heard that come out of my mouth ($300 million) and you’re never going to hear it.”

That is most likely an accurate statement, in the most literal sense.

Neither side denied it then, and people with direct knowledge of the talks later confirmed the number.
That figure was no longer relevant when the offseason began, sources said. The $310 million was the midseason request, and Cano’s side expected to start clean when offseason negotiations began.