Curtis Lazar is going to have to skate and wait his turn.

Senators GM Pierre Dorion told reporters Wednesday there’s no plan to bring the club’s top pick in the 2013 NHL draft back to Ottawa any time soon and, barring an injury to one of the forwards here, the organization would be happy to have the 21-year-old Lazar develop in Binghamton for the next little while.

Senators assistant GM Randy Lee went to see Lazar play Wednesday night in Utica and they’d like him to have some success in the AHL.

“He’s going to play (Wednesday) and we’re not going to make any immediate decisions on Curtis,” Dorion said. “The best thing for Curtis is to go down there and play and play as well as he can play.

“(He can) play in all situations and I think it’s the right thing to do. Let him get confidence and when the time comes we’ll call him back up but there’s no timetable to call up Curtis.”

Dorion revealed the Senators thought of sending Lazar to the AHL last year but because of injuries in Ottawa decided they couldn’t make the move. He noted defencemen Erik Karlsson and Cody Ceci both spent time in Binghamton so there’s no reason why Lazar can’t either.