Ahead of Thursday’s trade deadline, the Raptors have been involved in talks with multiple teams that would change the team’s point guard situation significantly.

With the New York Knicks continuing to aggressively pursue Kyle Lowry, who has turned in a career season, Toronto has explored complicated deals that would bring back a replacement for the soon-to-be free agent.

It’s no secret Boston has dangled four-time all-star Rajon Rondo league-wide and while the asking price is steep, he has piqued the interest of Toronto’s front office, according to multiple sources. Toronto is eager to up its “star” quotient and is also enamoured with Rondo’s resume, particularly his four all-defensive team selections (two all-NBA first team). He has many backers in the organization.

However, Rondo tore his ACL just over a year ago, has only played in 10 contests this season and will become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2015 after earning $12.9 million next year.

Despite all that, Rondo would not come cheaply. Bull.com’s Sam Smith said the price is believed to be “two unprotected first rounders” while one source told the Sun the ask is a combination of at least one lottery pick and talented young player.

Boston is currently in the midst of a rebuild after dealing away Rondo’s Big Three cohorts Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce in the off-season (Ray Allen departed for Miami a year earlier).

That’s where dealing Lowry would come in. Knicks owner James Dolan reportedly nixed a deal earlier in the season and Lowry responded by playing the best basketball of his career. He’s sixth in the league in three-pointers made, eighth in assists per game and sixth in win shares. With the future of star forward Carmelo Anthony uncertain, Dolan apparently has reconsidered as New York looks to improve its roster.

ESPN New York reported Monday that the Knicks have been reluctant to surrender either promising rookie Tim Hardaway Jr. or a future first-round pick. Either would be needed in a Toronto package for Rondo.