The writing was on the wall.

Now, Randy Moss has placed it on social media.

The 49ers‘ wide receiver and pending free agent made it clear he won’t be back for a second season in San Francisco, via his Twitter account Saturday evening: “Wished we could’ve finished the job!!thanks for the opportunity an good luck in the future 9ers.”

Moss’ tweet came on the heels of a report from ProFootballTalk earlier in the day that quoted a source as saying the 49ers didn’t have interest in re-signing the future Hall of Famer.

The feelings may have been mutual.

Before the Super Bowl, Moss, 36, expressed dissatisfaction with his role as a “decoy” in the 49ers’ offense. He had 28 catches for 434 yards and posted fewer than three catches in 12 of 16 regular-season games.

On media day, he said he planned to return for a 15th season in 2013. With the 49ers?

“I don’t know about that,” he said. “Next question.”

At the NFL combine last month, general manager Trent Baalke hailed Moss’ dedication, leadership and intelligence. He was noncommittal, though, about a second season with the legendary wideout.

“We’re certainly happy that he was there,” Baalke said. “Is he going to return this year? I don’t know that yet.”