All along, the Padres maintained they wouldn't budge from their high asking price for Brad Hand. Evidently, it was never met.

The non-waiver Trade Deadline has passed, and Hand, one of the most sought-after relievers on the market, is still a Padre.

Hand, whose ERA has dipped to an even 2.00 with 19 consecutive scoreless outings, is under team control through the 2019 season. But the Padres are taking a significant gamble by holding on to him at what many consider the peak of his trade value. The 27-year-old lefty likely will remain a candidate to be dealt in the offseason.

General manager A.J. Preller did not make any other moves on Monday, leaving their six-player swap with Kansas City last week as their only significant Deadline deal. Right-handed starter Jhoulys Chacin, who was also on the market, remains in San Diego as well and will start Tuesday night vs. Minnesota.

"There were moments in the last 24 hours or so where I thought there was a chance we were going to line up with somebody on a couple different deals," said Padres general manager A.J. Preller. "With Brad specifically, he's a guy that we're excited to have as part of our bullpen. He's a guy that when you look to win ballgames, you need elite relievers, guys who can fill different roles and get big outs. When you look at a player that we have control over for the next 2 1/2 years, there was no rush for us to reach out and do anything."

Preller said he received more phone calls regarding Hand than he had with any other player during his three-year tenure as Padres general manager. He noted that four or five clubs were "at the final table," working to make a deal in the final hours before Monday's 1 p.m. PT Deadline.