This isn’t what $190 million was supposed to buy.

When the Nets overhauled their roster last summer, they were supposed to be going from a team that couldn’t get past an injury-riddled Bulls team in the first round a year ago to one that would be a serious contender for an Eastern Conference crown and beyond.

Instead, after the Nets saw their massive fourth quarter comeback come up short and lose 115-113 to the Raptors in front of a sellout crowd of 20,393 inside Air Canada Centre Wednesday, they are faced with the reality of a 3-2 deficit in this best-of-seven series, and the potential for a second straight playoff exit on their home floor if they fail to win Game 6 on Friday in Brooklyn.

“We have to,” said Deron Williams when asked if the Nets could save their season and get two straight wins. “We understand what the task is, and we feel like we’re up to it.”

After a horrid opening three quarters, it appeared the Nets were going to have a chance to pull off what would have been a miraculous comeback after trailing by as many as 26 points in the second half and 22 at the start of the fourth quarter when Joe Johnson’s 3-pointer tied the game at 101 with 3:19 remaining capped a 32-10 run, for the Nets to open the fourth. Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce missed the run, as they did not play in the fourth quarter.

“We dug ourselves such a big hole,” Johnson said, “and then in the second half, we finally decided that we wanted to play.”

Both teams then reeled off matching five-point bursts, and then Kyle Lowry — who starred for Toronto, finishing with 36 points and six assists while dominating his individual matchup with Williams — hit a 3-pointer and a difficult runner in the lane to give Toronto a 111-108 lead with 27 seconds left.
After Johnson, who led the Nets with 30 points, missed a runner in the lane and DeMar DeRozan subsequently hit a pair of free throws to give the Raptors a 113-108 lead with 17.5 seconds left, it looked like the Nets’ comeback was destined to fall short. But Toronto ensured there would be at least one more twist when Amir Johnson fouled Alan Anderson as he made a 3-pointer with 9.7 seconds left.