In a decision that commissioner David Stern described as wrenching, NBA owners requested more information Friday before voting on dueling proposals to have the Kings stay in Sacramento or move to Seattle.

The next step will be another meeting late next week of a 12-owner committee, which will then vote on a recommendation. The full Board of Governors -- one ownership representative from each of the 30 teams -- will then have at least seven business days to review it and cast the deciding vote on the fate of the franchise.

"I think it's 50-50," one owner told upon leaving the two-day meeting of the full board. "I think it could go either way."

Stern, in his final news conference following a spring board meeting, shed little light on what details the owners hope to attain before finally deciding the three-year saga of where the Kings will call home.

"Of course, we're most concerned about the critical path to arenas getting built," Stern said.

Based on the above timeline, the issue would be decided before the May 21 draft lottery, thus giving clarity to which city those players drafted by the Kings would be representing. The timeline Stern laid out actually would make the week of May 6 the earliest the full board could conduct a vote.

"It's the only time in the last ... 47 years that I haven't known the answer," Stern said. "This is one that's just been quite difficult and confusing for the owners as well."

Stern, who is retiring as commissioner on Feb. 1 next year, did reveal for the first time specifically what the owners will be voting on. The issue slated first, Stern said, will be the proposed relocation of the Kings. Relocation requires a majority vote of the 30 owners to pass.

"For us, the linchpin seems to be -- and I think the committee agrees or the committee directs -- that the first issue is whether we're prepared to authorize the team to move," Stern said. "That will be the first order of the day."

Similarly, if owners reject relocation, there would be no point in voting on the binding purchase agreement the Maloof family has with the Seattle-based group led by Chris Hansen and Steve Ballmer. Under this scenario, the owners would at least officially be able to say they weren't rejecting Hansen and Ballmer, but rather the notion of relocation.