Manchester United will make one final effort to lure Cesc Fabregas from Barcelona if the Spanish international finds himself out of the team at the Nou Camp at the start of the season.

United seemed to bring their pursuit of Fabregas to and end last week when the Spanish international told a press conference that he wanted to stay at his current club.

'We respect Cesc's decision.' said United.

However Sportsmail understands that United are continuing to monitor Fabregas's situation and will consider going back with one final bid in excess of £32m if the former Arsenal midfielder starts the La Liga season on the bench.

Fabregas will not play in Barcelona's season opener against Levante on Sunday after spraining ankle ligaments playing in a tour game in Malaysia at the weekend. He is not expected to recover in time.