Sophomore A.J. English came through in the final moments for the second time in three games, hitting a game-winning three-pointer with 0.7 seconds left in the contest to propel the Iona College men's basketball team to a 62-59 win over Saint Peter's in Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference action at the Hynes Center. The Gaels (16-8, 13-2 MAAC) earned their eighth straight win following a furious rally by the Peacocks (9-15, 5-10 MAAC) which erased the Maroon & Gold's eight-point lead in the final 122 seconds.

Saint Peter's dictated the tempo of the contest throughout and held the Gaels to their lowest point total of the season. Iona was out shot 49.0% - 38.8% and was also held to a season low 10 assists in the game.

Junior David Laury had a team-high 16 points, eight rebounds and four assists off the bench with the help of a 10-of-14 effort from the free throw line. Coming into the game converting more than 60.0% of his field goal attempts Laury was just 3-of-12 vs. the Peacocks. Senior Mike Poole - one of the lone Gaels to find success from the field - had 13 points and six rebounds and was 6-for-6 on his shot attempts with one three-pointer. Senior Tre Bowman had 10 points and Isaiah Williams added nine with three trifectas each.

Iona led by as many as seven points in the first half when two Laury free throws made the score just 16-9 at the 6:48 mark. An 11-4 Saint Peter's run closed the gap at 20-20 at the 1:35 mark and the Gaels held a 24-22 advantage at the break.

The Maroon & Gold raced out to a 10-pont lead on senior Sean Armand's three-pointer at 14:19. Following a Williams' three-ball at 12:44, the Gaels led 42-31, their largest advantage of the contest. The Peacocks got three straight defensive stops and scored six in a row to cut it to five points just over a minute and a half later. With Iona unable to break the game open and Saint Peter's unable to close the gap, the margin remained in the single-digits over the final 10 minutes. Another two Laury free throws gave Iona a nine point lead with 3:38 left. Following back-to-back Desi Washington layups, the Peacocks closed within five points. Poole hit a three-pointer on the next possession in what looked like the dagger the Gaels needed, but Saint Peter's again fought back and scored six straight, taking advantage of three Iona turnovers.

Up two with 35.1 ticks left, English was fouled and hit two free throws to stretch the margin to 59-55. Rookie Trevis Wyche got into the lane with 12.5 seconds left and converted a layup to get back within two. Jamel Fields stole the ensuing inbounds pass and all of a sudden the score was tied with 9.5 remaining.