Day-to-day is done for the season.

Marcus LoVett won’t play again this year for St. John’s, according to a tweet late Wednesday afternoon by his father, Marcus LoVett Sr., and confirmed later by the university in a press release. The Red Storm’s second-leading scorer has been out since spraining the MCL in his left knee on Nov. 26, and had yet to return to practice. He was listed day-to-day from the time of the injury until the point his season officially came to a close.

“@Marcus_LoVett is finished playing for the 2017-2018 season…#rehab Stay tuned…St. John Red Storm now & forever #SJUBB @latimessports @nypostsports #family #fans #love #respect,” his father tweeted. LoVett retweeted the post. On Sunday, LoVett tweeted he was going to handle his injury with “ease.”

The 6-foot redshirt sophomore guard, who toyed with going pro after last season, was expected to have a one-on-one workout with coach Chris Mullin on Wednesday afternoon, but after working with a trainer earlier in the day, he complained of soreness and swelling. They decided to skip the workout and reassess the situation, sources said. But after talking to his son and without informing the staff, his father made the announcement on Twitter.

Before his father’s tweet, there had been no discussion internally of shutting LoVett down for the season, according to sources, as this strange saga reached a crescendo. The move leaves St. John’s with eight eligible scholarship players for the rest of the season. LoVett’s status within the program is uncertain at the moment.

“Marcus has a bright future ahead, so while it is disappointing that he will miss the remainder of the season, his long term health is the primary focus,” Mullin said in a statement.

LoVett, who was given Mullin’s No. 20 jersey this season, was averaging 14.9 points and 2.1 steals in seven games, six of them St. John’s wins, before the injury. He underwent a pair of MRI exams, the second last weekend, and for roughly a month had been told by doctors he could test the knee in practice, a source said. However, he steadfastly told coaches he wasn’t ready and remained sidelined.