The investigation into Jacksonville Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew’s suspected role in a recent altercation at the Conch House in St. Augustine will be wrapping up in the next few days.

St. Augustine Police spokesman Mark Samson said the department is trying to schedule an interview with Jones-Drew before forwarding the case to the state attorney. If that can’t be done soon, he said, the report will likely go to State Attorney R.J. Larizza without an interview.

Larizza will make the decision on whether to charge Jones-Drew with a crime.

Kasim Howard, a security guard at the Conch House, has accused Jones-Drew of sucker punching him in the jaw on May 26. Representatives for Jones-Drew have said their client was at the Conch House but not involved in the altercation.

Police are reviewing a videotape of the incident. Samson said police have been working to enhance the video to get a better sense of what happened.

Police have declined to release a copy of the video because it’s part of an ongoing investigation, which is legal under the state’s public records laws.

Attorney Gregory Anderson, who represents the Conch House, said in a news release the security video captures Jones-Drew rapidly approaching Howard from the back-left side and sucker punching him in the jaw.

Patrick Canan, who has been retained as Howard’s attorney, last week said the videotape clearly shows his client being hit in the face.

On Tuesday, Canan said police are doing the right thing in taking their time.

“There were a lot of people there that day,” Canan said. “And it takes time to interview all those people.”

Defense attorney Hank Coxe, who is representing Jones-Drew, declined to comment Tuesday.

Jones-Drew has spent time in Miami recently rehabbing a knee injury, which is why police have struggled to interview him.

However, former Times-Union sportswriter Greg Larson said Jones-Drew was at the University of North Florida this past weekend participating in a youth sports event. Samson couldn’t be reached to comment whether the police knew Jones-Drew was in town and whether they tried to arrange an interview.

Prosecutors and police rejected the suggestion that the investigation into Jones-Drew is being dragged out because of his celebrity status.

“We’ve just kept our heads down and are doing our job,” Samson said.