With their ace out, the Cincinnati Reds are going to have to do some shuffling.
Johnny Cueto lasted only eight pitches before leaving Game 1 on Saturday because of back spasms.
The Reds list his status as day-to-day. The same could be said for their pitching plans.
Both manager Dusty Baker and Cueto himself left the door open for the right-hander to return for Game 3 on Tuesday in Cincinnati.
But neither was in a rush to make a decision.
"I would say 'yes,' but I have to see how I feel tomorrow," Cueto said after Cincinnati's 5-2 victory.
Mat Latos, who had been scheduled as the Game 3 starter, made his first major league relief appearance not long after Cueto's stunning exit. He surrendered a homer to Buster Posey but gave up no other runs over four innings (and 57 pitches).
The Reds used five relievers in all, which was not the scenario Baker envisioned when he selected his Cy Young candidate to open the National League Division Series at AT&T Park.
Cueto recorded just one out, striking out leadoff hitter Angel Pagan. But while delivering a strike to the next hitter, Marco Scutaro, the right-hander grimaced in pain.
After a short discussion with Baker and the training staff, Cueto surrendered and headed for the dugout. Out at his second base position, Brandon Phillips couldn't believe his eyes.
"I was like, 'Oh, man. We're done. Why? Why?' " Phillips said."
Johnny Cueto's injury causes Cincinnati Reds to re-think pitching plans
San Jose Mercury News | Oct 7