The Indians rallied early and late Friday to sweep the White Sox in a doubleheader at U.S. Cellular Field.

Down 5-0 in the first inning of the opener, the Tribe countered with a five-run second on the way to a 19-10 victory. In nightcap, the Indians entered the ninth trailing, 8-5, but scored four runs for a 9-8 victory. Nick Swisher sealed it with a game-winning homer off closer Addison Reed.

It was a long day at the yard. Really long.

The two games lasted seven hours and 53 minutes. In terms of doubleheaders where both games go nine innings, it was the longest in history.

"It was a long day, bro. . .definitely a long day," said Swisher. "We got in at 3 in the morning after playing in Baltimore on Thursday night. We come out here and played two games.

"This is a no-doubt type team. We fight to the end. We're scrapping. It doesn't always look pretty, man, but we're going to do our best to try and get it done."

The Indians have won eight of their last 11 games. They trail the first-place Tigers by two games in the AL Central.

"That was one of the most rewarding days I've ever been a part of," said manager Terry Francona. "We held it together. We battled and to have the results to show for it is exciting."

In the nightcap, Ryan Raburn opened the ninth with a single. Pinch-hitter Asdrubal Cabrera, who had three hits in the opener, followed with a single to right to put runners on the corners. Michael Bourn, with his third hit of the night, scored Raburn to cut Chicago's lead to 8-6 as Cabrera hustled to third.

Francona pinch-hit Jason Giambi for Mike Aviles, even though Aviles had five hits in the doubleheader. Before Giambi contributed, Reed threw a wild pitch that scored Cabrera two make it 8-7. Giambi sent a fly ball to center for the first out of the inning as Bourn advanced to third to bring hot-hitting Jason Kipnis to the plate.

"I thought they might walk me with first base open," said Kipnis, who reached base eight times in the doubleheader. "Then when I saw the catcher squat down, I knew they were going to pitch to me."

Kipnis sent a fly ball to center that scored Bourn with the tying run. Up came Swisher against the hard-throwing Reed. He worked the count full and then drove a pitch into the right field seats for a 9-8 lead.

Vinnie Pestano came on in the ninth to convert his sixth straight save. The win went to rookie Matt Langwell (1-0), his first in the big leagues.

"I haven't had all that much success against Reed," said Swisher. "He's got a plus fastball, a good slider, a good change up. . .With no one on, I'm just trying to keep the rally going."

Chicago scored four times in the sixth to take a 6-5 lead. They made it 8-5 with two runs against Langwell in the eighth.

The rally saved Carlos Carrasco from a loss. Carrasco, in a spot start, allowed six runs on 10 hits in 5 2/3 innings.

"I thought he really battled," said Francona. "The final line doesn't look good, but I felt he really battled."

Trevor Bauer started Game 1. Like Carrasco, he was making a spot start.