The Padres have avoided arbitration with Chase Headley for the 2013 season.

But the third baseman's long-term status with the Padres remains unchanged.

Headley and the Padres Wednesday night agreed to a one-year contract for 2013 that will pay Headley $8.575 million.

However, there are no discussions yet toward a long-term contract with Headley, who is eligible to become a free agent following the 2014 season.

"That wasn't part of these discussions," said Padres General Manager Josh Byrnes after the compromise for 2013 was completed.

Headley, who finished fifth in the voting for the National League Most Valuable Player award for 2012, had been seeking $10.3 million for 2013 when the player and club exchanged pre-arbitration hearing salary figures last week. The Padres were offering Headley $7.075 million for 2013.

"It's the system," said Byrnes. "He had a great year and he deserves to be rewarded. This is a defendable number. It's a good raise, but he earned it. We're happy it is done."

Headley made $3.475 million for 2012.

Wednesday's agreement makes Headley the second-highest paid Padre for 2013. Left fielder Carlos Quentin will make $9.5 million. The third-highest-paid Padre for 2013 is closer Huston Street at $7 million.

The switch-hitting Headley had a breakout season in 2012 when he hit .286 with 31 homers and a league-leading 115 RBI.

In addition to being the National League Player of the Month for both August and September, Headley won both the league's Gold Glove and Silver Slugger awards.