Young goalie Antti Raanta got the start for the Blackhawks. Jonas Hiller started in net and Frederik Andersen backed him up. Hiller had to be good early as the Hawks got a bid on net that, upon further review, was a hand pass off Hiller's body. Regardless, Hiller still made the save. It seemed that the Dustin Penner - Ryan Getzlaf - Corey Perry line would go against the Jonathan Toews line as Boudreau started his matching game early.

The Getzlaf matchup worked well and the Ducks opened the scoring just two minutes into the game. Perry took a hit (that may have been to the head) to keep a puck alive. The puck squirted out to Getzlaf who riffled a shot off Perry's stick and into the net. However, this lead lasted all of one shift when the Ducks couldn't pick up Patrick Kane and he made a play to Ben Smith. Smith took a shot from the slot that went straight through Hiller. While Hiller could have (and should have) made the save, Vatanen failed to keep the oncoming player from driving in on the goal.

With the game tied, the Hawks began to drive the play. Aside from a nice hit by Emerson Etem, the Ducks were not able to control the Hawks' speed and swift passing. A bouncing puck added to the confusion in front of Hiller. That confusion turned into a penalty (tripping) against Matt Beleskey. The Hawks have the ninth ranked power play in the league and, luckily, it didn't show. The Ducks forced the power play wide and held the blue line, forcing the Hawks to dump the puck in the zone. After a bunch of failed attempts on Hiller, Perry got three close chances in on Raanta who tried to play the puck with Perry on the doorstep. Raanta was lucky enough to make the saves and keep the score tied.

Toward the end of the period I began to notice Vatanen's tendency to let people walk in on him. He would put pressure on the oncoming players early but wasn't able to keep them from walking in behind him. The Hawks looked to take advantage of the Ducks' young defensemen and Joakim Nordstrom nailed Hampus Lindholm against the boards. Although Lindholm hadn't touched the puck, there was no penalty call on the play.

On the very same shift, Lindholm got a hand around Kris Versteeg who was skating behind the net and was whistled for holding. The Hawks' second power play faced a strong penalty kill from the Ducks. Hiller wasn't forced to make many saves and the Ducks easily killed the penalty. The period came to an end with the Blackhawks leading in shots 11-8.