Defensive lineman Anthony Hargrove hadn’t given up on his NFL career, but he admits he wondered if he would get another chance.

Whether it was his role in the New Orleans Saints’ Bountygate, his release from the Green Bay Packers last summer, his year out of football, his injury lawsuit against the NFL or the fact that he turns 30 this summer, Hargrove’s phone didn’t ring until the Dallas Cowboys called.

“Sitting out for a year, you don’t know where life is heading,” Hargrove said Tuesday during the Cowboys’ first organized team activity. “I understand how this game works, and when you don’t have a year of film, people are less inclined to bring you in, because they don’t have enough film to evaluate you on. It put me at a disadvantage, but you know God is good and it always works out.”

It is a no-lose signing for the Cowboys, who gave Hargrove a one-year, $840,000 deal. Hargrove can play every position on the defensive line, though he is best as an inside rusher on passing downs. He also has covered kickoffs.

Hargrove, who arrived at Valley Ranch after free agent Brian Price didn’t work out, could help spell Jason Hatcher and Jay Ratliff inside as the Cowboys move from the 3-4 to the 4-3.

“We like him,” Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said. “We’ve liked him a lot. We’ve competed against him through the years. He’s a darn good football player. He has been for a couple different teams in this league. So we’ve always kind of admired him in competition. He was available.”

Hargrove has been here previously, trying to take advantage of a second chance. He did that in 2009, after nearly losing his career for violations of the league’s substance abuse policy that put him out of the league in 2008 and in rehab for 10 months.

The Saints were the only team that offered him a contract a year later. Hargrove played 56.9 percent of the defensive snaps and recorded 63 tackles, five sacks and three fumble recoveries in 2009 as New Orleans won the Super Bowl.