David Ortiz isn’t about to wait.

On the final day of his celebrity golf tournament on Sunday, Ortiz wanted to make it clear that he and his agent, Fern Cuza, won’t be restricted in trying to get an extension done before his current contract runs out at the end of the 2014 season.

There had been reports that Ortiz and the Red Sox were under an agreement that restricted the two sides from talking contract prior to his current deal (which runs out at the end of ’14 and pays him $15 million) expires.

“We don’t have any agreement that says we have to wait until the end of the season to negotiate,” Ortiz told WEEI.com. “Why would I do that? I want to get a deal done.”

According to Ortiz, Cuza already has started conversations with Ben Cherington. The talks were first revealed by the designated hitter Friday during the media session for his charity event.

“We gave them what they wanted. I don’t have next year guaranteed, and I think I can play another one. We’re working on that,” he said. “Who knows? As long as I feel good I’m going to want to play. I think everybody is in good shape to negotiate another year and move on.”

When asked if he would want to wait until the end of the season to renegotiate another year, Ortiz said, “What for? You know what’s going to happen if I’m healthy and good to go. I just hate the situation where I have to sit down at the end of the year and talk about my following year. Let’s do it now. We’re world champs right now.”