When he woke up on Wednesday morning injured Reds ace Johnny Cueto did not know this would be the day he could finally at long last begin a throwing program.

Cueto who has not thrown since straining his right lat muscle for the third time this season during a June 28 start at Texas was first expected to get an MRI test on Friday before being cleared to pick up a baseball. But after some second thoughts and a meeting between the medical staff and front office the green light was given.

By Wednesday afternoon Cueto played catch on the field and made 40 throws from distances of 60-75 feet.

"I feel good" Cueto said. "I didn't feel bad [before]. I didn't feel nothing. I wanted to throw. They said OK."

Cueto could not contain his smile after returning from the throwing session.

"I'm happy now" Cueto said.

Cueto had been asking to throw for a little while but because he had repeatedly suffered the same injury the rehab and strengthening process has been even more deliberate. Head trainer Paul Lessard medical director Tim Kremchek and general manager Walt Jocketty met on Tuesday night and Wednesday and reassessed.

"Because he has gotten good strength why not try and start throwing?" Lessard said. "We can use the throwing program as a strengthening tool as well.

"It went very well. The intensity wasn't great. But it was the first day of throwing so he could go through that motion again. … You get bored doing all the exercises and the rest and start champing at the bit. At least now he can see the light at the end of the tunnel instead of driving through the tunnel."