The Reds are on the verge of landing a closer – a move that would clear the way for moving Aroldis Chapman to the starting rotation.

Jonathan Broxton's agent, B.B. Abbott, said he has had substantial talks with the Reds about a multiyear deal.

But he said the deal is not done.

"It's more than kicking the tires," he said. "It could come together quickly."

Abbott said they've talked about a couple of different deals.

"It's no secret that Jonathan wants security," he said.

Any multiyear contract would require a physical.

Ken Rosenthal of Foxsports.com first reported the Reds are in serious talks with Jonathan Broxton about a three-year deal. A Reds source confirmed that. It could be announced Tuesday.

Reds manager Walt Jocketty did not return a phone message Monday night. The Reds will not comment on signings until the player has had a physical and the contract has been approved by Major League Baseball.

Broxton, a 28-year-old right-hander, is a free agent. Jocketty said earlier that the Reds had talked to free agents Broxton, Ryan Madson and Joakim Soria. Reports have Madson in talks with the Los Angeles Angels. Soria remains unsigned.

Broxton came to the Reds in a July 31 trade from the Kansas City Royals. He worked mostly as Chapman's eighth-inning setup man. But Broxton did have four saves for the Reds. Between the Reds and the Royals, he went 4-5 with a 2.48 ERA and 27 saves in 33 chances.

Jocketty has said the Reds will try Chapman as a starter if the club signs a closer.