The Mets bullpen could go from not worth the pay to Surfin' USA.
Brian Wilson, a former All-Star closer with the Giants, has emerged as a candidate for the beleaguered Mets bullpen after team officials watched him throw on Saturday at UCLA, general manager Sandy Alderson confirmed yesterday.
The 30-year-old Wilson — identified throughout baseball by his outrageously thick beard — missed most of last season after undergoing Tommy John surgery in April and watched from the sidelines as the Giants won their second World Series in three years. Wilson, who made $8.5 million in 2012, was non-tendered by the Giants after the season.
Alderson, who watched the right-hander throw during Saturday's audition, told The Post he is "not sure" if he will extend an offer to Wilson, who reportedly has several other teams interested.
Wilson has been selected to three All-Star teams and had his best season for the Giants in 2010, when he went 3-3 with a 1.81 ERA and 48 saves. He appeared in only two games last year before undergoing surgery. It was Wilson's second Tommy John surgery.
Though Wilson has expressed optimism he will be ready for Opening Day, the possibility exists he may need to extend his spring training. Recovery from Tommy John surgery typically takes a full year, but coming off his second, Wilson might need additional time.
But it's clear Alderson is far from content heading to spring training without at least trying to upgrade a bullpen that was among the worst in the majors in 2012.
Frank Francisco, who is owed $6.5 million next season, struggled in the closer's role last year and would move to a setup job with the addition of Wilson. The 33-year-old Francisco last month underwent surgery to remove a bone spur in his right elbow, but is expected to be ready for the start of spring training, a team official said yesterday.
Brian Wilson works out for the Mets
New York Post | Jan 14