Jason Heyward figured he had something worse than a stomach virus when he could no longer lay on his side late Monday afternoon. A few hours later, the Braves right fielder underwent an emergency appendectomy at a Denver hospital.

The laprascopic procedure was successful and manager Fredi Gonzalez said Heyward was expected to be recovered in two weeks, after a stint on the 15-day disabled list that was retroactive to Sunday.

“I went over there morning and saw him, spent about 20 minutes with him,” Gonzalez said Tuesday morning, before the Braves’ doubleheader against the Rockies at Coors Field. “He was in good spirits. Beat up a little bit, as you would expect, from the surgery. But give him a couple of weeks and he should be ready to go.”

Utility man Tyler Pastornicky was recalled from Triple-A Gwinnett to fill Heyward’s roster spot and arrived at Coors Field at around noon, more than an hour before the doubleheader opener. Gonzalez said Jordan Schafer and Reed Johnson would get most playing time in right field while Heyward’s on the DL.

Recovery for appendix surgery is typically 2-3 weeks for baseball players, although Matt Halladay of the Cardinals and Adam Dunn of the White Sox returned from laparascopic appendectomies in about one week in 2011. Neither went on the DL, but it’s more common for a player to be DL’d and not rush the recovery.

Gonzalez and assistant hitting coach Scott Fletcher said Heyward began feeling ill during the weekend series at Pittsburgh, but thought it might just be a virus. His condition worsened Monday in Denver, where the Braves spent several hours at Coors Field during the afternoon before the series opener was postponed due to snow.

“He didn’t sound good,” said Braves first baseman Freddie Freeman, who talked with Heyward after he got back to the team hotel and tried to rest. “He said he could only lay on his back, he couldn’t lay on his side. He said he was feeling terrible.”

Heyward was checked out by Braves doctor Joe Chandler and by a Rockies consultant at the team hotel, and told he needed to go to the hospital for tests. Soon after he arrived at Rose Medical Center, he was told he needed surgery.

“Me and Uggs (Dan Uggla) were at dinner,” Freeman said, “and I got a text (from Heyward) that said he had to go to the hospital to run tests on him. And about an hour later he told me he had to get his appendix taken out. It was quick. All of a sudden he was like, ‘I’ve got to get my appendix out.’ And I said, when’s that happening? And he said, ‘10 minutes.’”