The Boston College basketball team has perfected the art of getting close. It’s finishing the job that has proven troublesome.

This time the Eagles battled back from a 13-point deficit late in regulation to force overtime against Georgia Tech in the opening round of the ACC tournament. They even built a three-point lead in the extra period before running into some familiar problems that resulted in another frustrating defeat.

Trae Golden’s three-point play with 35.3 seconds left in overtime put the Yellow Jackets ahead for good, sending BC to a season-ending, 73-70 loss at Greensboro Coliseum.

It was the sixth time since the start of the ACC schedule and the seventh time overall that the Eagles lost a game by four points or less. This one, though, was by far the most painful because of the effort involved and the finality of the result.

“We were close a lot of times this season and lost them unfortunately,” BC junior Patrick Heckmann said. “That’s just something we’ve got to learn, even though we’re all juniors and sophomores. That’s just mental. We’ve got to stay focused to win these games.”

The Eagles (8-24) were plenty focused during the final 81⁄2 minutes of regulation, when they rallied from a 55-42 deficit behind an unexpected offensive blitz from Heckmann. The 6-foot-5 forward from Germany scored 19 of his 21 points after halftime, including seven of BC’s points during a 12-0 run that fueled the comeback.

On the other side of the court, BC held Tech without a field goal for the final 5:28 of regulation and the first 4:25 of overtime before Golden’s decisive basket.

“The hard part with this is that when we go back over our games, there’s a lot of good that we do in games,” a somber coach Steve Donahue said. “Even in a game like tonight, we did an incredible job of executing down the stretch. For whatever reason, Georgia Tech had the answer at the end.”

It could just as easily have been the Eagles. Olivier Hanlan had a chance to win the game in regulation when he was fouled driving to the basket with 5.2 seconds remaining. But the sophomore guard missed his first shot, recovering to make the second to tie and extend the game.