Speaking for the first time since last week's blockbuster trade sent him from Miami to Toronto, Mark Buehrle broke his silence on Wednesday to accuse his former team of lying to him.

"Just like the fans in South Florida, I was lied to on multiple occasions," the 33-year-old left-hander said in a statement. "But I'm putting it behind me and looking forward to moving on with my career."

Buehrle was part of the 12-player trade that sent him, All-Star shortstop Jose Reyes, right-hander Josh Johnson and two other players to the Blue Jays as the Marlins pared more than $160 million in future payroll.

Buehrle, a four-time all-star, signed a $58 million, four-year deal with the Marlins a year ago during their unprecedented spending spree. The Marlins then endured a disastrous first season in their new ballpark — which was largely paid for with public money on the promise they would field a competitive, big-budget team — and finished last in the NL East.

Owner Jeffrey Loria then ordered payroll slashed in order to rebuild.

Buehrle's agent, Jeff Berry, said the Marlins made "repeated assurances about their long-term commitment" to Buehrle and his family. At the same time, Buehrle was not naive about the lack of no-trade protection offered by the Marlins and knew it was a "calculated risk" to sign with them.