Things looked pretty grim for the Blue Jackets after 40 minutes in Uniondale but a big goal by Mark Letestu helped put the team into gear on their way to a 3-2 shootout win.

When the Jackets left Columbus last night they had to be feeling some frustration after the undignified way that they dropped the home opener.

With a divisional game on their plates tonight though they didn't quite seem to have figured out what to do about it. Hemmed into their zone from the get go the only real surprise was that the Jackets managed to hold the Islanders to just 9 shots on goal though some of that may be credited to some pretty iffy Coliseum ice conditions. (More on that later.)

Mustering just four shots on goal through 20 minutes the team once again looked like they were struggling to get co-ordinated and the defense in particular was simply not on the same page.

Things started to look gut-clenchingly familiar when a frantic sequence in front of the Jackets' net somehow ended in Artem Anisimov getting his stick up on Michael Grabner taking the penalty to save against what would have been a tap-in goal.

Unfortunately though the penalty kill would do fairly well against the Islanders' top PP unit John Tavares would get the puck past Nick Foligno and over to Lubomir Visnovsky who did a quick back and forth passing drill with Frans Nielsen before hammering a shot through traffic to open the scoring.

The goal energized the Islanders and they went hard on the attack finally cashing in when John Tavares went to the corner for a loose puck and served it up to Matt Moulson who had slipped behind Dalton Prout and was ready to put the puck home before Bob could get over in the crease.

(Full credit to Moulson but you have to wonder if that's a goal that might not have happened with last year's smaller nets and longer pads. Oh well.)

The Jackets did find some offensive push particularly late in the second but Evgeni Nabokov was equal to everything they had through 40 minutes leaving the Jackets trailing 2-0 and outshot 19-12 with just 20 minutes to play.

I've no idea what Todd Richards did or said at intermission (perhaps as we discussed in the game thread he stared drawing up plans for a Sunday morning bag skate?) but the team seemed to get on the same page pushing the play back into the offensive zone more consistently and finally seeming to skate with the Isles.

The Atkinson / Dubinsky / Gaborik line in particular started to find their ice and Dubi would draw the first penalty for the Islanders when he got whacked with a high stick by Travis Hamonic.