The long-anticipated debut of defenseman Ryan Murray in a Columbus Blue Jackets uniform got off to a rocky start Sunday but the ending in the first preseason game against the Pittsburgh Penguins gave the fans in Nationwide Arena a glimpse of the future.

Murray the second pick of the 2012 NHL Draft showed he is recovered fully from a serious shoulder injury that sidelined him for most of last season.

In his debut preseason game the 19-year-old (he turns 20 on Sept. 27) played most of the game paired with veteran James Wisniewski and scored at 4:38 of overtime off a pass by RJ Umberger.

"The first couple of shifts I made some pretty brain-dead plays" Murray said. "I didn't do too great. I felt a little nervous at the start. It was a good way to finish … not the greatest start."

Murray is battling Tim Erixon Cody Goloubef Ilari Melart and David Savard for one of the two remaining spots on an otherwise experienced defensive corps.

Coach Todd Richards said he knows he has a potential breakout player in Murray but that there is still a long way to go.

"He's had some struggles in games" Richards said. "He's had some good games too but just getting comfortable with the speed I think he's progressed. That's what you want to see from your young players."

Murray is trying to make up for lost time. After being drafted by the Blue Jackets he returned to his junior team the Everett Silvertips of the Western Hockey League but played only 17 games (two goals 15 assists) before being forced to curtail his season because of a torn labrum.

He had tried to play through the injury but instead made it worse precipitating surgery that would lead to six months of rehabilitation before he was cleared to play.

"I went to see a couple of doctors and they both said you've probably got a torn labrum you can play with a torn labrum but if it pops out you're in trouble" Murray said. "That's exactly what happened."

Murray took a chance by playing but had been told that others had finished the season with the same injury.

But the season-ending injury occurred Nov. 16 2012 when he fell to the ice after a collision with a Victoria Royals player.

"It was just before the lockout too" Murray said of when he initially injured the shoulder. "I wanted a chance to play so I kept going. It was just unfortunate it popped out."

It was a moment Murray knew could come but was hoping to avoid.