At the league meetings last week, Texans coach Bill O’Brien said that the team will definitely be drafting a quarterback in May although he cautioned that the team wasn’t set on drafting a quarterback with the first overall pick.

O’Brien said there were 10-12 quarterbacks that the Texans were evaluating and that they weren’t locked into grabbing one of the players perceived to be at the top of this year’s group. With the top pick in the second round to go with the first overall pick, the Texans would be in position to grab a player outside that top tier by moving back into the first round or staying put and taking a player they like once the draft moves into its second day.

That may be an attempt at misdirection with the draft still more than a month away, as might O’Brien’s answer to a question about the team’s draft plans at a Monday town hall meeting with fans. O’Brien said that the team might draft two quarterbacks in May to compete for the starting job with some combination of Ryan Fitzpatrick, Case Keenum and T.J. Yates.