It looked as if the Rangers and Blackhawks were going on muscle memory through large swatches of Thursday night’s match at the Garden that marked the first for the clubs in nearly three weeks.

Pinpoint precision and ferocity were missing from the contest that featured 14 Olympians — nine for Chicago — and a three-quarters pace most of the way.

But if both clubs were working their way back into a flow in this game devoid of excitement and even drama until the final ticks of the clock, the Blueshirts were somewhat closer to their standard in recording a 2-1 victory at the Garden that represented the team’s sixth win in the last seven games (6-1).

“I thought we played an outstanding game defensively,” said Rick Nash, who beat Corey Crawford with a right wing wrist shot at 15:53 of the third for a 2-0 lead and what became the winning goal. “And Talbot was first star, by far.”

That’s Cam Talbot, who made 31 saves, and was beaten only by Peter Regin with 11.6 seconds left in regulation. The Blueshirts’ netminder improved his record to 11-5 in allowing two goals or fewer for the 13th time in 16 starts.

“It was important for us to pick up where we left off,” Talbot said. “We were able to establish ourselves early and play our game.”

Uncertainty hovers over the Rangers and will continue to do so up to Wednesday’s 3 p.m. trade deadline. The fates of longtime linchpins Ryan Callahan and Dan Girardi remain unresolved, Callahan far more likely to go in a deal than make a deal to stay and Girardi looking about 50-50.

Nevertheless, the Blueshirts went about their business in a match in which the teams played as if coloring by numbers rather than painting with flair. They played quickly, too, the game featuring a total of 50 faceoffs, 14 of which came in the final 8:23.

“We wanted to keep the game simple,” Girardi said. “We wanted to keep our shifts short, which we did from the start of the game.”

Neither team established a substantial amount of zone time or generated a dangerous rush game. Both teams kept turnovers to a minimum, therefore negating much of the transition game. The Rangers scored the game’s first goal at 10:14 of the first period when Derick Brassard buried his own rebound to complete a sequence on which J.T. Miller’s forecheck hectored Jonathan Toews into a defensive-zone giveaway.