Don’t bury the Blues-Columbus rivalry just yet. And fans learned Saturday, don’t bury the Blues when they’re down.

While the Blues and Blue Jackets were Central Division foes in the Western Conference, the matchup never reached the level of the disdain for Chicago or Detroit by any means. But there’s always been an underlying tone in the meetings with the Blue Jackets.

On Saturday night, the first encounter between the teams with Columbus now a member of the Eastern Conference, the Blues and Blue Jackets traded elbows, shoulders and fists in a penalty-filled affair. They traded goals, too, all the way through overtime, where David Backes’ 16th tally of the season 22 seconds into OT gave the Blues a 4-3 come-from-behind victory.

The Blues, who trailed 3-1 at one point and 3-2 heading into the third period, put themselves in that position with two goals by Vladimir Tarasenko, a game-tying goal by Chris Stewart and the winner by Backes. But not to be forgotten was goaltender Jaroslav Halak, who stopped the final 26 shots he faced to earn the win.

“I think everybody had a piece in every part of this game, their team and our team,” Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said.

Backes and Alexander Steen had the last piece. First, Steen pressured Columbus defenseman Fedor Tyutin in the offensive zone, creating a lose puck, and then Backes swooped in and beat Blue Jackets goalie and St. Louis native Mike McKenna for the clincher.

“I let (Tyutin) know I was on the right and cheated on the left,” Steen said. “I don’t know how it poked out or what happened, but Backes came flying ... it was a big goal for us. This is a big comeback.”

The Blues, who wrap up a two-game road trip Monday in Ottawa, won for just the second time this season when trailing after two periods.

“It was a little redemption for the rest of our game,” Backes said. “I don’t think it was optimal by any means.”

The loss went to McKenna, who helped keep the Blue Jackets in the game. The Jackets, in fact, had a couple of chances put the game away, but failed.

Mark Letestu had a clear-cut breakaway with 6 minutes, 46 seconds left in regulation and shot high. Just 19 seconds later, Stewart tied the score 3-3 with his seventh goal of the season, putting in a rebound after a point-shot by defenseman Ian Cole.

That was after Stewart missed the entire second period with a right hand injury suffered in a fight with Columbus’ Dalton Prout late in the first period. X-rays were negative, Stewart returned to the bench for the final minute of the second period, but didn’t play again until the third.