For Alex Rodriguez, the decision of whether to accept a suspension or fight on comes down to dollars and sense.

As the day for arbitrator Fredric Horowitz to rule on Rodriguez's appeal of his 211-game ban draws near -- some think it could come as soon as Friday -- the beleaguered slugger has discussed the possibility of accepting a reduced ban without attempting to get an injunction delaying his punishment, according to a source in A-Rod's camp.

According to the source, a suspension longer than 100 games will likely lead Rodriguez and his attorneys to pursue a temporary restraining order against Horowitz's ruling in federal court.

If he is given a shorter suspension, however, "then Alex will have some things to think about," the source told ESPNNewYork.com.

According to the source, who has been privy to some internal discussions in the Rodriguez camp, the player is weighing the financial implications of continuing to fight this battle versus accepting a suspension that will allow him to take the field sometime in the second half of the coming season.

Taking his battle into the courtroom will cost Rodriguez "at least $10 million, with no guarantee of winning," said the source, while a 100-game ban would cost him $15,425,000 of his scheduled $25 million salary for 2014.

"All of this has been presented to Alex, and he is weighing his options," the source said. "In certain situations it may not make much sense to continue to fight."

Previously, Rodriguez and his attorneys had vowed to fight any suspension -- "I shouldn't even serve one inning," he said in November after storming out of the hearing room upon learning that MLB commissioner Bud Selig would not have to testify -- but clearly that position has softened in the nearly six weeks since the hearing recessed.