It was wild. Emotion and tempers flared. The Flyers even lost their starting goalie.

Yet something very good came from Saturday’s heart-pounding 4-3 overtime win (see Instant Replay) against the Penguins at CONSOL Energy Center.

Craig Berube’s team clinched place in the Metropolitan Division with the win and locked up a first-round playoff matchup with the Rangers. Game 1 of the seven-game series is set for Thursday.

Amid what was a typical Flyers-Penguins game, the Flyers lost Steve Mason in a violent collision in the second period. Berube said Mason wasn’t severely injured and expects him to open the series vs. the Rangers (see story).

That said, Berube believes the Flyers have to be sharper against the Rangers than they were Saturday against the Pens.

“We turned pucks over, we didn’t have any jump,” Berube said. “I thought we were a step behind. To me, we got sloppy. That bothers me.

“The team showed character to come back and get a big win. Like I told the team, we have to finish as high as we can. We want to win hockey games.”

Ray Emery relieved Mason to start the third period with a 2-1 lead.

“Emery made some big saves and had to face a power play right away, which is the worst way to start a period,” Berube said. “He made some big saves. Our goalies won the hockey game.”

James Neal tied the game, 2-2, at 14:53 in the third period. But Claude Giroux regained the Flyers’ lead with his 28th goal of the season at 18:45. Just 37 seconds later, the Pens tied it -- again -- at 3-3 on Kris Letang’s 11th goal of the season, sending the game to overtime.

In OT, Mark Streit beat goalie Marc-Andre Fleury off the rush on a backhander to end it. Streit’s marker was his 10th of the year.

“Our team’s got character,” Berube said. “I always say that, and they came back, and they have fight. They battled, but we've got to play better. We've got to play better.”

Despite allowing two goals on 14 shots, Emery wasn’t phased by his late entrance.

“That’s why you’re there,” Emery said. “It was a fast-paced game and one we needed. Just happy it turned out the right way.”

There were scrums all afternoon. Regulation ended with Tanner Glass taking a shot at Jakub Voracek, who scored two goals for a career-high 23 this season. Hal Gill intervened and everyone piled up along the boards.

“We don’t want guys going at our superstars,” Gill said. “It was a tense game, a hard-fought game on both sides. You get competitive and those things happen.”

Voracek, who went ballistic, admitted he “overreacted a little bit” after the game.

“It’s an emotional game and you didn’t want to put the team in a position of playing Pittsburgh 3-on-3 in overtime [which happened],” Voracek said. “We grabbed a huge two points in the end, which was important.