Earlier this month, Capitals defenseman John Carlson said he hopes the “fresh faces” who’ll join the team this season can bring new “energy” to the lineup.

On Wednesday, Braden Holtby echoed those sentiments.

The all-star goalie, who turns 28 next month, hopes the prospects will create a more competitive environment around Kettler Capitals Iceplex as they battle to earn—and keep—NHL jobs.

“It’ll be nice, especially in training camp, to have some spots open, to create a little more intensity,” Holtby said.

“The last few years we’ve basically had our roster, and everyone knew that. Guys were fighting for call-ups. This year, with so many roster spots open, it should really prepare us for Game 1.”

After seeing virtually no changes last summer, the cap-strapped Caps shed some big-name vets this offseason in order to re-sign their own restricted free agents and shoehorn the payroll underneath the $75 million salary cap ceiling.

Forwards Justin Williams, Marcus Johansson and Daniel Winnik as well as defensemen Karl Alzner, Kevin Shattenkirk and Nate Schmidt all walked out the door.

It wasn’t easy for Holtby to digest, even though he knew significant changes were likely coming.